Do you find that the seasons of your creativity, just like with life, ebb and flow?
I have been taking a couple of courses since the beginning of the year and am discovering many things about myself. One of them, perhaps an obvious one at this point, is that I need to create. I love to create new things. One of my shadows, perhaps, is that it feels a tad selfish to create for the sake of creating. Things need a purpose! I am realizing that much of the creating that I do is really not for the sake of sale but for the sake of teaching. I love to teach people, to inspire people to do new things and to feel awesome about themselves afterward and so, I keep creating.
Playing with ink on paper is also a way for me to get out of my head. I am quite a cerebral type quite often as evidenced by my inability to even just paint without marking the steps mentally but lately I have been trying to do something different.
Inks have a way of doing their own thing and so, as part of my “writing ritual” to get out of my head and into my heart before putting fingers to keyboard, I am blasting music and simply dripping ink. Some days I help it flow, others, I just let it go. In making this part of my “ritual” I have committed to creating art 3x a week, along with my writing. I think its a win win for me!
That being said, I want to continue to share with you! So, hopefully each week I will be able to share what I created- alcohol ink, mixed media or otherwise. Win, win, win for me! Hopefully you enjoy it too!
This lovely was created, as indicated, over 3 days. Day one, 5 different inks were chosen- yellow, blue, peach, green and magenta.
Ink was dripped at random onto the paper, making sure to fill in each section of the 5×7 sheet of yupo.
On day 2, I took 91% isopropyl alcohol and spritzed it onto a piece of saran wrap and placed it over top of the image. I let the wrap stay there for about 10 minutes.
Upon removing it, I noticed all of the cool ink still left on the wrap, so I placed the wrap onto a clean sheet of yupo. It created a really cool looking background… that I unfortunately went on to turn into mud. Whoops!
The original background was still a tad bright, so I repeated the wrap/alcohol step (and the background transfer step… at which point the cool second background became mostly brownish black. oh well!)
On day 3, I took a look at the background image and found places that seemed like floral centers and dripped a drip of the magenta and a drip of the peach together onto where the base of a petal would be. Holding the canned air nozzle perpendicular to the paper, I sprayed the ink outward. You will want to be sure your working area is covered or that you are working in a sort of self contained corner for this step. Trust me when I say that the ink flies of the page! I repeated this step for all three flowers, decreasing the amount of peach added to subsequent petals to add some depth of color.
Hope you enjoy it!